4.06.2005

A Note of Insanity

In less than 22 days, I will be finished my degree. Between now and then, I have 6 final exams, 2 final presentations, and 2 final papers. Not to mention a girlfriend's birthday to celebrate, an Orientation team to facilitate, and a new job to locate. Apartment hunting is also on the list. And two days after it all ends I hop on a plane to Montreal for 2 weeks.

Wheeeeeee....

I had two job interviews today.

1. to sit behind a desk and coordinate transportation planning for the province, all for a salary that amounts to peanuts, in a temp position that depends on tenuous funding.

2. to don my steel toed boots again in the service of the University's Department of Ancillary services as a maintenance assistant team leader. Also for peanuts, and in an even more brief temp position.

If the province offers me a job, I should probably take it. I won't. Fuck it. I'm tired of sitting behind desks for tasks that a monkey could do, in a field of 'expertise' that I desire no further experience in. At least the maintenance job will let me work with my hands and see sunshine once in a while.

Of course, my whole dilemma would be rendered moot if I were to get an interview and an offer from the only structural design firm which is likely to do either. For them I would sit behind two desks. But alas, the phone does not ring.

Back to work.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wader said...

What ever you do, you'll be brilliant! Never fear, things have a tendency of working themselves out.

10:50 p.m.  
Blogger Katy said...

woot! go go gadget graduation!

2:33 a.m.  
Blogger tiaraletourneau said...

Dear Mr. Machell,

It has come to our attention that you are about to graduate from a prestigious University in the First World. Congratulations.

Is is my sad duty to inform you that at this time all the positions for individuals with initiative and intelligence have been filled. This, of course is due to the very large number of persons with a great deal more experience than you, a young graduate, and with a great deal less initiative and intelligence. They are much better suited to the rigourous and structured work of maintaining the status quo than you are.

Do not, however, become disheartened, Mr. Machell. We have an abundance of low wage, low initiative, low intelligence posts available to you. Over time you too will learn how to abandon your initiative and reduce your intelligence to acceptible levels. At that time you will be very well suited to a more prestigious position, such as the ones you aspire to.

Please feel free to select any of the jobs ofered you by the government, public sector or social sector. We have already communicated with them and they will be happy to assist you in your career development by placing you in an suitable position.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact administration who will respond to all your comments when they feel you are ready.

Once again, Mr. Machell, congratulations.

Sincerely,

Minister of "The Way Things Are"

7:48 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiara's brilliant, eh? Well said Tiara!

Best of luck choosing between the lesser of two evils, Aryn. and Congrats!

Jodie

12:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home