7.29.2004

The Pokia: Design Brilliance

And I thought today was just going to be another boring day. I was scanning through my news links looking for something interesting when Reuters.com's Oddly Enough section delivered. The Pokia!

Apparently some inspired soul in the UK has been custom modifying old landline phone handsets to plug into modern cell phones. He then sells them on eBay - so far they've gone for $40-$140 USD. (His site is http://www.pokia.com/)

I must say I am thoroughly impressed. First, from an intellectual standpoint, you've gotta give the guy credit - it's a brilliant idea. Second, if there's ever been a complaint that I had about the design of current cell phones it's that they are itsy-bitsy, finnicky, dainty little pieces of electronic junk. I always worry about losing or breaking mine, and they've never been particularly ergonomic. Now (but for the lack of $140 USD), I can cradle my cell on my shoulder, and the mouthpiece and earpiece will actually reach.

My hope in humanity is rekindled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home